What Is POTS??

What Is POTS??

Sunday, August 14, 2016

IS POTS AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE? The Connection Between Dysautonomia and Autoimmunity

It is a recognized fact that some autoimmune diseases  also cause POTS, like Sjogren's Syndrome or Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. This is because these diseases cause damage called neuropathy by causing your body to produce autoantibodies that attack nerve cells/fibers.


But is POTS itself an autoimmune disease?

I happen to have both. I found this interesting article on the subject. New evidence of autoimmunity in POTS!  

There are a few other autoimmune diseases known to cause POTS. Guillain-Barre Syndrome and  CIDP, Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. Guillain-Barre works both like an infection and an autoimmune disorder simultaneously. It causes nerve inflammation and damages the protective myelin sheath covering the nerves. As a result, the nerve signals travel too slowly and can result in the nerve fibers being totally destroyed. It usually comes on suddenly after a GI infection or lung infection. The end result is some degree of motor function loss or damage to the motor nerves. CIDP is a more chronic form of Guillain-Barre.

They did a study to find out whether or not Lupus patients who also had Fibromyalgia were more likely to have Orthostatic Tachycardia, also called Neurally mediated hypotension.

They found that 47.9% of Lupus patients had Neurally mediated hypotension(NMH), Seven of the patients in the study had NMS and POTS. Two patients had borderline results because they didn't show enough of a drop in systolic BP when they stood. 23% of the SLE patients had fibromyalgia.

Eighteen (23.7%) SLE patients had FM and 51 (67.1%) had at least one tender point (TP). The frequency of NMH (first or second stage) in SLE with FM was 58.3% compared with 69.4% in SLE without FM. This indicates that fibromyalgia and NMH being associated with Lupus isn't because NMH causes fibromyalgia.
http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/43/5/609.full

This study found in Rheumatology International, July 2006, Volume 26, Issue 9, pp 837–840, showed that 37% of patients in the study who had Lupus also had autonomic symptoms. 18% of them had lab results showing autonomic dysfunction. This dysfunction didn't appear to have anything to do with how long they had had Lupus, lupus activity, disease damage, any particular organ involvement or the presence/absence of peripheral neuropathy. This means they could have autonomic dysfunction without having peripheral neuropathy. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00296-005-0093-0

Sjogren's Disease effects most notably, the lacrimal glands,(your eyes) and salivary glands(your mouth)  by damaging your ability to produce tears and saliva. It can also damage your lungs, kidneys, bladder, joints, etc.  Sjogren's Disease  sometimes causes autonomic, sensory, and motor neuropathy, as well as CNS lesions/inflammation in the spinal cord and brain. Besides hypotension and tachycardia, these patients often have gastrointestinal problems, difficulty swallowing, headaches, body aches and nerve pain in the arms and legs. They may have hypersensitivity to light, sound, and skin sensation, outside of any migraines.

The thing I find most interesting about POTS and Sjogren's is that dehydration is a symptom of both illnesses. And anhydrosis or the inability to sweat or decreased sweating is a symptom of both diseases. In this case, Sjogren's destroys the sweat glands and in POTS it is caused by nerve damage.  And it would be difficult to tell which one causes which.


Another study  I read at The National Center for Biotechnology Information found the following:

"Patients with POTS have a higher prevalence of autoimmune markers and co-morbid autoimmune disorders than the general population. One in four patients have positive ANA, almost one in three have some type of autoimmune marker, one in five have a co-morbid autoimmune disorder, and one in nine have Hashimoto's thyroiditis." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26038344

Other autoimmune conditions that occur with POTS are Multiple Sclerosis (MS),
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) which is more of a connective tissue disease than an autoimmune disease, Celiac Disease, Crohn's Disease, Addison's Disease, Graves Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and antiphospholipid syndrome, and Rheumatoid Arthritis.

A severe form of dysautonomia is called Autoimmune Autonomic Ganglionopathy(AAG). Only around 100 people are diagnosed with it each year.


2 comments:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or loves and family relationship.  Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via E-mail: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You  can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2348142454860  He also cure deadly diseases and virus with his natural herbal medicine herbs.  like
    HIV/AIDSHERPESEPILEPSYNAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEASTROKEEXTERNAL INFECTIONCANCERDIABETESCHRONIC DISEASEHEPATITIS A&B AND OTHERS. his email again:  drrealakhigbe@gmail.comnumber : +2348142454860 

    ReplyDelete