What Is POTS??

What Is POTS??

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Why Am I Blogging About This? My Life With POTS

I'm not sure what I want to say here. POTS or  Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome is a terrible condition to live with. My late father had it. I don't know if it was secondary to his Parkinson's Disease or to his Rheumatoid Arthritis. My late husband had it as well. It was very debilitating for him. He had seizures as a result of it and ultimately he had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest and died. That is called SUDEP.

The Epilepsy Foundation defines SUDEP as "the sudden, unexpected death of someone with epilepsy, who was otherwise healthy. No other cause of death is found when an autopsy is done. Each year, more than 1 out of 1,000 people with epilepsy die from SUDEP. If seizures are uncontrolled the risk of SUDEPincreases to more than 1 out of 150."

There aren't enough doctors who even know what POTS is or how to diagnose it or even the difference between it and Orthostatic Hypotension or Hypertension.

I felt that POTS had taken enough from me. Then I recently started having symptoms of my own. It's a lot to handle. There is so much information to absorb and try to understand. And much of it is different than when my husband was diagnosed.

I figured as I find the information and learn from it, I could post it on this blog so that someone else might benefit from it. In the end, maybe there will be some benefit to this blog for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment